Washington County has occasional volunteer opportunities at the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve. Some are on the trails while others are in the office. Trail stewards are the goodwill ambassadors for the Reserve, assisting visitors as needed to increase appreciation for the Reserve and educating when necessary on the “Rules for Responsible Recreation.” For more information contact Lura Snow at (435) 256-6312. For specific information about qualifications for trail steward positions, contact Jim Crisp, Trail Steward Coordinator at email@example.com.
- Download the volunteer manual here (PDF)
- Volunteer Service Application Updated 2017
- Download the Trail Steward position description (pdf)
Completed Applications may be turned into the Visitor Center at 10 N. 100 E., St. George.
- Trail Steward – hike or ride RCDR trails to monitor conditions and visitor compliance, provide visitor contact and information, remove litter, and report all findings and work accomplished. Service can only be conducted after successful initial interview and completion of all classroom and field exercise training.
- Specialists for community outreach and other specialized positions.
Information about volunteering for the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve can be found on this site, and requests can be made by calling the contact information above. Please review the application form and the volunteer handbook. Applicants are asked to supply all the information requested on the application. The completed application is to be sent to: Red Cliffs Desert Reserve, 197 E. Tabernacle, St. George, UT 84770. Applications are accepted year round.
After your application has been reviewed, a member of the Reserve staff will contact you. This will be your opportunity to receive information about the duties and responsibilities and ask questions. References may be checked.
If selected as a volunteer, you will receive a confirmation letter containing the volunteer position, dates, and location. You will meet with Reserve staff to determine actual duties and your work schedule. All volunteers are required to complete the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve Volunteer Training Program before volunteer service may begin. You will also need to complete the Volunteer Information Sheet and Emergency Contact Information sheet.
Please be sure to ask enough questions to thoroughly understand the scope and details of your duties.